AANLCP Journal of Nurse Life Care Planning
Editorial Committee Minutes
July 21, 2021
Via ZOOM! (please don’t dress up) Address at the end of the page.
Beverage of choice encouraged.
8pm eastern/7pm central/6pm mtn/5pm pacific
Attendees: Holly Allman, Michele Cook, Andrea Goicoechoa, Cheryl Halkowicz, Patty Hedrick, Wendie Howland, Linda Husted, Gerrie Springston
New Business: Pedi consortium, see below Old Business:
- August, NLCP across ages
- In production
November- (deadline July 15): Topics in Expert witnessing, testimony, methods and resources This will be a good issue but we need the missing pieces now. Please also be sure to have your authors send 4-6-sentence bios and good-quality head shots stat.
- Demonstrative evidence
- How to prep your attorney for your testimony: Shelene’s list of questions to have the atty ask LCP
- Zoom trials
- SEAK survey is out on LCP costs—
- UCR data bases review, costing research, resources, mechanics, tutorial, vendors
AWAITING updates and submissions:
- Shirley Daugherty Medicare Set-Asides, DUE NOW
- Holly Allman will coordinate c Dawn Cook and Tricia West on dividing up the many facets of LE including but not limited to the NVSC tables, including considering other databases for clinical decisions (e.g., NSCISC, US Renal Data Set, Shavelle et al., Transplant data sets, rated ages, actuarial algorithms to make two complementary articles.
- Dawn and Tricia West will be working c an economist on the gender issues re life expectancy; Economist, Robert Johnson Dawn knows, re gender and race not being considerations in damages, etc. Recognize that decisions on which database(s) to use rests c the atty, but we can be aware and inform beforehand. DUE NOW
February (October 15 deadline) Criminal NLCP work; focus on NLCP for special cases/ victims damages in litigation
PTSD; multiple causes; Evelyn interested in this— update?
Spousal abuse? Holly knows a social worker who could contribute/network contributor
Trafficking? Refer to Winter 2018 JLNC p28 Mason article; but since this does not include LCP information, would suggest using it for background and building LCP on that. Suggest contacting Sherri Mason at SherriRN66@gmail.com <mailto:SherriRN66@gmail.com> for possible collaboration. Volunteer please?
Forensics: Kirsten will talk about the spectrum of LCP needs for this
Prisoner cases— Tricia had to document substandard care, assessment, LCP perspective on several cases like this; care available in prisons—LTC equivalents? LCP for this population
April has a few criminal case studies that would be instructive
If this or any other issue topic isn’t happening, a consortium of folks who do pedi care plans have stepped forward to put together a pedi issue!
Where should we put it?
May NOTE CHANGE!! Spine and joint procedures, Deadline Jan 15.
- Alternatives to opioids? New tech? CBD? CBT
- “ Joints: I wish we had articles about joints. I often do cost projections for shoulder, hip and knee surgery including injections, exploratory surgery, PT, joint replacements and revisions, for many LCP. Occasionally finger joint and ankle joint (including fusion).I could see articles on specific joints, injections, smaller surgeries, replacement surgeries, revision surgeries. And all the care needed before and afterward. Cheryl, Gerrie, Patty will partner on coordinating this suite of short pieces.
- Spinal: I don’t think I can see an article about spinal surgery, and yet I do this on 50% of my cases, I am sure others are the same! It would be great to have a discussion about cervical, thoracic, lumbar and sacral surgery including decompression, disc replacements and fusions, and all the pre and post care. Also, when is revision surgery needed? So an issue of spinal and limb joints would be a great topic!”?
- A number of suggestions for spinal and joint injections, including PRP could go in this issue. ?Cheryl Kaufman
- Neuromonitoring here? “Neuromonitoring: for the brain and spine surgery. I am confused on what to include, the codes and if the costs are double if the neurologist is not in the actual room. It would be great to learn more!”
August “Transplantation” NOTE CHANGE!! We have not done any transplantation issue since 2015. There are lots of new medications for both and new developments like using organs with less of a typing match, and maybe some covid lung replacements. “
- Pressure injury
- Chronic/ arterial/venous/lymphedema
- c cognitive issues
- Nutritional supports
November “Burns” not done since 2015, updates in the works? NOTE CHANGE!!
Future issue topics?
Neuropsych testing; indications, vetting levels of certifications for experts, meaning of results, applicability to NLCP
Renal — failure, transplantation, dialysis, nephrology, pedi transplants (Lora White?)
Schedule / Deadlines NOTE dates for reviews in please!
Formatted due to Edit.
Out to reviewers
Due back from reviewers
Spring, May 1
Summer, Aug 1
Fall, Nov 1
Next meeting: July 21, 2021
(8:00pm eastern / 7:00pm central / 6:00pm mountain / 5:00pm pacific) RSVP!